Saturday, July 12, 2008

Stubborn as a mule!

Last Durga Puja, my father organized a musical show where all my family members took part; albeit me missing as usual. My father played the violin, my mother sang and my brother played the synthesizer. When someone asked me why I wasn’t a part of the concert, I proudly declared myself to be the black sheep of the family, with no musical talent what so ever. But later when I reflected upon my answer, I came to realize a very important aspect of my personality, which was that I am as stubborn as a mule! Even though it is not that I can’t sing- a friend of mine who is a professional guitarist even asked me to sing with him in one of his gigs- I have abstained from being properly trained in music. This is mainly because as a child I had grown quite tired of hearing things like, “Bengali girls who can sing get a good husband” and thus had promised to myself never to sing in front of people. My husband should love me despite the fact that I don’t sing, I had stubbornly thought. Today I am 21 and having matured considerably, I have come to realize that this obstinately behavior has had a very paradoxical effect on me. Even though I love singing, the only reason I didn’t do so was just to vex others. And in the end it is I who got hurt because, every thing said and done, I do love singing. I have now finally realized that I should learn to sing properly and nothing should stop me from doing so.

No comments: